Sunday 27 January 2013

THE TALKING OAKS


THE TALKING OAKS OF CASSIOBURY PARK

This is the story of a few ancient oak trees standing close to both the river Gade and the Grand Union Canal in Cassiobury Park in Watford, Herts., United Kingdom

 

It was written for the author’s grand children, two of them twin girls age six and lived overseas. The poem was read to the twins and fired their imaginations. They couldn’t wait for their summer holiday to come to visit the trees. When they arrived in Watford, their Gran took them to the park and were excited to see the trees and suddenly started talking to them. When they heard no answer they asked their Gran why weren’t they answering them back? Their Gran was quick to explain that they are magic trees and would only talk to their grandfather!

While I stood admiring the ancient oak

I hopefully asked, tell me, can you talk

Though you don’t seem to move at all

Yet you have grown so thick and tall


The answer came in a nice whispering tone

As you know, my origin was a humble corn

In this park, I was planted a long time ago

Perhaps five or six hundred years or so


Though my trunk has grown so very thick

I my youth, I was such a skinny stick

And though my life is full of nice memories

Yet, I have also had my share of agonies


The memories that I remember and cherish best

Are of courting couples having me as a love nest   

Names have been lovingly carved in my trunk

Beautiful hearts and arrows also deeply sunk


My trunk has been home to so many squirrels

Amusing me with their love N rowdy quarrels

On my branches, birds have peacefully rested

Sang their hearts out, courted and finally nested


People love to rest in my inviting shade

After their walks in the nearby glade

Sometimes, I just love to stand still and dream

While my feet get washed by the gentle stream


Other times, I prefer relaxing in the breeze

Letting my leaves dance with perfect ease

And so my friend as you can see

A busy life can be led by an oak tree

Watford, Herts

Sept 1994 




 

1 comment:

  1. I love this poem. Wish you would write more in English. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete